If you weren’t lucky enough to buy a home with a built-in workbench or countertop, you’ve probably bemoaned your lack of accessible work space for DIY projects.
True, there are sawhorses and portable workstations that you can set up. But nothing takes the place of a sturdy workbench with dedicated storage for tools, screws, and nails. It’s the reliable home base any woodworker needs.
What if we told you it wasn’t isn’t difficult to build your own heavy-duty workbench that will give you the work surface — and storage — you’ve been longing for? We think it will be the perfect addition to your basement, garage, or shed.
Have we convinced you? We thought so!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- (6) 2x4s ( x 8′ ft. long) pieces of lumber
- (1) 4’’ x 4’’ sheet of ⅝5/8″” plywood
- (1) 2′ ft. x 4′ ft. sheet of 1/4¼”” pegboard
- (8) Simpson Strong-Tie Rigid Tie® RTC2Z Connectors(8) Simpson Strong-Tie® Rigid Tie® RTC2Z connectors
- (1) box) Simpson Strong-Tie #8 x 1 1/4¼”” Wafer wafer-Head head Screws
- (20) #6 x 1 1/4¼”” bugle-head screws
- (4) #6 x 2 1/2½”” bugle-head screws
- Tape measure
- Drill/driver with a #2 Phillips Phillips-head bit
- Framing square
The first step is to cut all of your lumber to size. Read through this cut list carefully so you make the proper cuts in the right places, because there are six 2x4s that will need to be cut to slightly different lengths.
- Cut four 45″” rails from two of your 2x4s
- Cut a 58″” rear corner post and two 17″” end rails from another two 2x4s
- Cut a 48″” top rail from another 2×4
- Cut two 36″” front corner posts from your final 2×4
- Cut your sheet of plywood into two 24″” x 48″” shelves
- When it’s time to install the Simpson Strong-Tie Rigid Tie RTC2Z Connectors Simpson Strong-Tie Rigid Tie RTC2Z connectors on your vertical posts, mark the height, clamp the connector to the post, and attach with Simpson Strong-Tie #8 x 1 1/4¼”” Waferwafer-Head head Screws. You don’t even need to pre-drill!
- When you connect the horizontal rails on each side, be sure to use a clamp to hold the wood in the seat of the connector while you’re installing it. We love Simpson Strong-Tie Rigid Tie RTC2Z Connectors Simpson Strong-Tie Rigid Tie RTC2Z connectors because they’re easy to install, yet strong enough to support even the heaviest items. Plus, you can paint them so they blend in seamlessly with your project.
- A quick note on the shelf boards: mark one as the top shelf and one as the bottom shelf. Then trace a piece on the end of a 2×4 in each corner so you can notch the back corners of the top shelf, and all corners of the bottom shelf. This will ensure that your shelf fits snugly.
We hope you have a great time building your new work bench — and an even better time loading it up with your tools and getting to work on new your projects.
Any questions? We’re always here to help!